When we started YourCabs, we had very little knowledge of PRI lines and vanity numbers. So we jumped the gun and chose a number in a span of few hours. The number 44472227 served us really well even though the mnemonic 4447-CABS was hardly noticed or utilized by our customers.
But over the course of 2 years we have also found that it makes sense to have a number that’s easy to read out over the phone, and thereby, easy to remember. We finally zeroed in on
30 600 600
(thirty – six hundred – six hundred)
We still support our old number and intend to do it for a few months. But will be phasing it out. So update your phone book and start dialing the new number the next time you think of a cab!
Yourcabs is looking for a senior technical developer to build and develop our product platform, which will be a suite of tools across the web and mobile space. The developer will be part of the core group which will strategize and develop the complete platform, and therefore will
1. Help in developing a coherent vision for the platform, and make strategic technology choices
2. Build and maintain a top-level development plan for the assigned modules
3. Help in recruiting and managing an in-house development team
Write to us today at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yourcabs is looking for a senior Android developer to build and develop our product platform, which will be a suite of tools across the web and mobile space. The developer will be part of the core technology team, and will
1. Take full control of the application development
2. Strategize and build a development road map with the backend team
3. Help in recruiting and managing an in-house development team
We are looking for people who are technically excellent, good team leaders, and at the same time, enjoy the excitement and unpredictability of working in a startup environment. Our ideal candidate would be someone who has around 2-3 years of relevant experience with hands-on knowledge of android and Java, and preferably exposure to MVC frameworks. Experience in UX design is preferable. Amount and type of compensation is negotiable and will be a mix of salary and equity.
Write to email@example.com today!
Interns are an integral part of a company’s ecosystem and we believe in providing great opportunities to interns. Our experience last year has been very good and we’re sure this year will be no different!
We are strengthening our sales & marketing team and this gives us the space to accomodate a couple of interns who can be a part of this exciting phase. The roles would be to:
- Create marketing and advertising strategy for YourCabs targeting both traditional and digital media
- Be involved in sales pitches for corporates and companies
- Talk to retail and corporate customers and understand their requirements
- Talk to partners and come up with strategies for marketing tie-ups
What do you get?
- Exposure to marketing in a niche new industry
- Understand all aspects of business, given it’s a startup
- Start on a clean slate, get a chance to implement your ideas without hurdles
What skillset are we looking for? An ability to:
- cold-call consumers and obtain feedback
- come up with innovative sales pitches
- brainstorm innovative marketing strategies
We’re not too picky when it comes to qualifications. We just need people with great attitude who are ready to put in their best effort.
The internship will be in Bangalore and we will pay a fixed monthly stipend of Rs. 10K.
So what are you waiting for? Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ever since we launched our new desktop site, we’ve been receiving a few complaints on how sluggish the website is on mobile networks. We realize the importance of mobile and also the importance of having a site optimized for networks in India. Our mobile site is now ready and has been live for over a week at http://m.yourcabs.com. Give it a try.
So what was our thought process when designing this?
1. Keep it small: Our mobile networks, including 3G, are notorious for high latency and connection drops. Hence it was imperative that we build our mobile site from scratch and keep size down to a bare minimum. We are happy with the results. Our mobile site is 30KB as against 500KB for the desktop site – a 15x decrease!
2. Design for smartphone, but don’t ignore feature phones: The idea is to not ignore customers who don’t own a smartphone, but at the same time, provide a great experience to advanced phone users. We achieved this by creating a basic version working on all phones, and then automatically plugging in enhanced features for smartphones.
3. Mobile keyboard = typing errors: People hate typing in a mobile. It’s both cumbersome and error-prone. We have made our systems more tolerant of typing errors especially during a search. Try typing in your location on the mobile site with some common errors and see what you get!
This is still work in progress. We want to provide you the best possible UX for your device and booking a cab shouldn’t take more than a few seconds!
Here are a few screenshots:
Do your search!
Select the vehicle you need
Enter details and book!
If you have had a chance to visit our website anytime over the past few weeks, you would have been greeted with our hot new look. We spent quite a bit of time re-designing our website; to not only give it a fresh look, but also to make it smarter. The idea was simply to reduce clutter and simplify the booking process at every step. Here are the highlights of this new design:
1. Single form for local, airport, and outstation bookings: You no longer have to think which option to choose. Our backend automatically decides the trip-type based on the locations you choose. How’s that for simplicity?
2. Cleaner search display: We love the ‘box format’ for its pure aesthetic value, but a row format works better when it comes to feature or price comparison. We went for the best of both worlds. The most popular models are shown as boxes, while the entire results table is being shown in the row format. Regular customers should be able to click right through the top row, for a faster booking process.
3. Intelligent forms: We don’t need your pickup address if you are booking for a airport or train pickup, and we don’t ask for one! Our platform automatically decides the relevant fields in the form, based on pickup location.
4. Improved estimates: We have received lots of positive feedback regarding the ‘estimated amount’ feature, and so we decided to make it better! Improved zoning, analytics and distance algorithms now provide more accurate estimates.
This is just a snapshot of the new site, and we urge you to go ahead an explore it! Tons of new features are in the cards, and expect to see another post very soon!
PS: here’s a before/after snapshot for a quick comparison:
Our old look
Our new look
Worried about standing in the queue for a taxi ride back home?
Then you just might be interested in our fantastic offer.
In addition to a driver waiting for you at the airport with a placard, you can also avail of:
20% off on all airport pickups
Offer valid only on Indicas and only until November. Go ahead and have a hassle-free ride back home!
Have Monsoon, Will Travel
10% off on all outstation cab bookings. Offer ends on 30th September.
Yes, the monsoon wasn’t in its best behavior, but let that not stop you from taking that much needed getaway!
Use your discount code and book now.
Don’t have a code? Well, scroll up and check the title of the post again
Yourcabs is looking for a rockstar lead/architect to build and develop our online platform and the associated backend. The lead architect will be fully responsible for the complete platform strategy & development, and therefore will:
View from the top - Our analytics data
A very cool heatmap showing the predicted demand of taxis, developed by our analytics team. We give a lot of importance to analytics, and churn through our booking data and other sources to create maps like these. These are in turn used by our operations team to ensure that we have adequate cabs at all key locations. Tools like these help us a lot in meeting our internal service benchmarks. We’ll keep sharing more such visualizations and analysis on this blog.